Lots of progress on the new furnace today. I built the frame that will hold the furnace/crucible out of fairly heavy guage metal. I made sure to take my time with the welds and get good penetration for strength. The last thing I need is some kind of critical failure with 5 pounds of molten aluminum falling over.
The area to the left of the furnace will be the pouring area and I will be making a pan that fits between the supports that will contain sand in the event of a spill.
I designed the furnace with ease of use in mind. The top of the furnace will be hinged for easy access to the melting area. This way I can load it with aluminum ingots, check the melt, skim off dross, etc easily.
When the aluminum is ready to pour, the whole furnace tilts forward on a hinge allowing easy pouring, as well as keeping the lid on to keep the interior as hot as possible.