Some milling machine goodness happened this weekend!
I was able to finish two of the hand-wheel interfaces for the stepper motors:
This time I decided to make the whole interface on the milling machine instead of using the lathe. I started with a 20mm thick piece of steel stock and milled it down to 15mm.
Once I had the shape milled out, I flipped the piece over and drilled out 3 holes at 120° and threaded them to mount the timing gear to (I love my rotary table!).
Here's a comparison of the two pieces. The one on the right is the one I completed this weekend. It's not as thick as the one on the left as the acme shaft-end that I'm mounting the stepper motor (and timing gears) to doesn't protrude as far out.
I drilled out and countersunk machine bolts on the aluminum timing gears and mounted them to the interfaces for the hand-wheels. The one on the left is assembled.
It's getting so close now I can taste it! Here's a test-fit of the thinner of the two interfaces.
And a close-up shot.
Here's a mock-up of the stepper motor mount on the y-axis with the hand-wheel and my interface in place.
Another shot - envision the ruler as the timing belt connecting the stepper motor to the y-axis acme screw. Once I have the alignment done, I'll fabricate tin covers for the drive train to protect the belt and timing gears from chips.